Thursday, January 28, 2010

Testimonial for James and a Year in Review

Testimonial for James Boileau – Life Coach www.jamesboileau.com

When asked by my good friend and life coach James to provide him with a testimonial for his newly renovated website, it got me thinking. I started looking back at the past year and a half to see just what I (with his help) have accomplished.

I have been working with James for over a year as a client. He originally asked me as a friend to work with him a couple of times to critique his style and content, but the tables quickly turned as I recognised the value of his input in my life.

One of the first things that struck me is that life coaching is not the same as a therapy session. Sure, you’re welcome to throw your woes on the table and talk about what’s not working, but a good life coach won’t let you dwell too long in victim-hood. James acknowledges the persistent complaints that you are there to change and then gets right down to it, giving you real, tangible changes that you can take with you after every session.

We started by defining my identity. Not the identity that I think the world sees, but the identity that I would want said about me, the person I want to be. James explained that only by being the person who attracts the things you want in your life (career, relationships, joy etc) would those things be attracted to you. Until then, you attract the level of things from your current place of who you are being. He linked the fearful, uncertain, resigned person I was being to the job and relationship I was in, both of which were unsatisfactory and unfulfilling.

James asked me, “What do you daydream about?”

Then he said, “Why aren’t you doing that?”

He helped me to get clear on what exactly made me daydream, and helped create action items that would help me achieve that. By understanding what makes me happy, I understood what I am naturally passionate about and committed to. James also encouraged me to stop choosing things just because they are in front of me, but to go after the things I want. This advice came while I was in the midst of a career change decision. Two companies badly wanted me to work with them but I was lukewarm about both opportunities, neither being in a field that interested me, nor a role I was excited about.

In the short term I didn’t take James’ advice choosing a safe job with one of them, but his words stuck. So much so, that after a month in the new, safe job, I threw my hat into the wind, leapt off the edge and pursued the role I really wanted. Once I got over the fear and actually took the first step, it took exactly three phone calls, two interviews and ten days to find and land my dream job!

So what were the goals I set out you ask? What identity did I write down? Here they are, you tell me if it was a success – and then call James to make an appointment with him!!

(May 9, 2009)

Who I am & Who I Want to Be:

  • Generous, witty & a good listener
  • Approachable and dependable
  • Living a healthy lifestyle
  • Committed to being, and living for, the present
  • A good friend
  • Committed to my family
  • Someone who is always growing, always seeking knowledge
  • Not afraid of change or challenge
  • A person who listens to and trusts herself
  • The kind of person others want to be around
  • Grateful for what I have
  • Someone who makes others feel included, important, heard
  • An abundant life
  • A woman who is not “completed” by a relationship
  • Free to do as I want, not trapped
  • Always steps up and makes the right change, even if its uncomfortable

Career Goals:

Sucessful Interior Designer (in May ’09 I was still in corporate recruiting!!)

  • Company Owner
  • Solid client base of happy customers
  • Lots of referral/repeat business
  • Joy in my career

In July 2009 and after taking Landmark Education I revised my list again and added:

  • I am the possibility of continuous new business and freedom in my work
    • I will do 4 colour calls per week (It was my first week in my new job)
    • I will only work 4 days per week
    • Within 4 months (November), I will be making money doing design work

I achieved the first two within 1 week of declaring this possibility and achieved the third by September!

Write down the identity that you want for your life!

Declare the things you are committed to and tell others!

Hire a life coach!

My mother told me that as far as we know, we only get one go around, and this life is not a dress rehearsal, so if you’re not living your version of your life, what are you waiting for??

No comments:

Post a Comment