Thursday, June 11, 2009

Salty Balls

My fabulous friend Maria has been bugging me to blog for months now and I've just never jumped on board. Not that I feel I don't have anything to say...I am not immune to the appeal of a space where I can say absolutely anything - like "salty balls", for instance.

Not that I would ever say "salty balls" I think that's crass and my mother would not approve. But just to know that if "salty balls" felt like the only words I wanted to type that day, or that that was the only phrase appropriate to express how I was feeling, then heck, salty balls!

I've decided not to recap my life up to this point - is that even what a new blogger does? - but instead to jump right in and start my thinking...and typing.

My day so far...got to work 10 minutes early (second day at my new job) tomorrow, no doubt will be different. Arranged myself comfortably in the dark, lonely hovel that is now my home and struck up a meaningful, if sporadic conversation with a fly that resides in the area. Made a mental note to never be tempted by the coffee in the staff room again. Checked for new emails. None. Resisted Facebook for 22 minutes. Succumbed. Took a disheartening call from a distraught friend and reminded myself again not to move to Kitimat. Work arrived! A spreadsheet all my own, whatever colours I choose - yes! Added columns, increased cell heights. Rearranged headings. Checked the clock. 10:23, oh my god, really?

Decided now is a good time to start a blog. Deliberated over a name for 3 minutes. Checked the clock. 10:37, hmmm. Went on Craigslist to find a new job, decided that even this is better than kiosk sales for Telus so browsed the lost and found instead. Darn, I'd hate to lose my cell phone at Spanish Banks, hope you find it. Not gonna lie, if I did find that puppy near the Gilmore Skytrain, I probably would not want to give it back. Checked the clock. 11:55 and the fly has committed suicide in my coffee.

Tomorrow, as they say, is another day and I cling to the fact that tonight is the second seminar in my Landmark Forum in Action Series. I will be surrounded by my people and they will remind me that the only meaning that exists in the world is the meaning I give it, and I have the power to change my circumstances. Once I take my self-censoring filters and my past out of my future nothing exists there except the possibilities I create and I'm thinkin' I've got to redefine my possibilities!

Cheers to possibilities. And heck, cheers to salty balls.

Amber

2 comments:

  1. This is excellent writing! And so funny. You need to check out my friend Awesome Sara if you haven't already - you could have a blog like her's, funny, playful and (as I say to her) I love going over to her blog because I never know what she's going to say next. . . like the title of your post here now :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kowabunga! You are one prolific writing babe.

    Write early and often darling!

    ReplyDelete